Re: definition of science ["a search for knowledge, rather than a search for truth"]

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Tue Apr 26 2005 - 10:55:31 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Miller" <kbmill@ksu.edu>
To: <asa@calvin.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 9:46 AM
Subject: Re: definition of science ["a search for knowledge, rather than a
search for truth"]

>> ED: I think theology and science differ in this
>> respect:
>>
>> A theologian dies and goes to heaven and asks God how
>> he created everything, and God replies, "It was a
>> miracle." And the theologian is satisfied.
>
> This is a vast misrepresentation of what theology is.

It's really a vast presumption about God and what some people imagine about
creation. IF - _IF_ - God says "It was a miracle" then the theologian is
satisfied.
But does God say that? The Bible doesn't in any unambiguous way and the
fact that science is able to understand more & more how the structures of
the universe & living things came into being through natural processes shows
that a great deal of creation wasn't a miracle. Of course one has to
understand - as any competent theologian does - that "creation" isn't
limited to a single act of origination in the beginning.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/