Re: New Pope on Darwinism - NO!

From: Keith Miller <>
Date: Tue Apr 26 2005 - 10:17:26 EDT

Denyse O'Leary wrote:

> A fellow journalist advises me that Pope Benedict XVI has made the
> Catholic
> Church's stand on Darwinism quite clear in his installation homily.
> (John
> Paul II's views have often been misrepresented in this area.)
> B 16 has said, "We are not some casual and meaningless product of
> evolution.
> Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed,
> each of
> us is loved, each of us is necessary."

It is not at all clear from this what the Pope's position is on the
science of evolution. I don't believe that we are a "casual and
meaningless product of evolution" either. We are a product of
evolution to be sure, but the goal of God's creative action through
evolution is filled with purpose and meaning.

So, I think that caution needs to be taken in interpreting the remarks.
  Some people even interpreted the comments of John Paul as not
supporting evolution.