New Pope on Darwinism - NO!

From: Denyse O'Leary <oleary@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue Apr 26 2005 - 09:41:15 EDT

A fellow journalist advises me that Pope Benedict XVI has made the Catholic
Church's stand on Darwinism quite clear in his installation homily. (John
Paul II's views have often been misrepresented in this area.)

B 16 has said, "We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution.
Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of
us is loved, each of us is necessary."

In context,

"The Fathers made a very significant commentary on this singular task. This
is what they say: for a fish, created for water, it is fatal to be taken out
of the sea, to be removed from its vital element to serve as human food. But
in the mission of a fisher of men, the reverse is true. We are living in
alienation, in the salt waters of suffering and death; in a sea of darkness
without light. The net of the Gospel pulls us out of the waters of death and
brings us into the splendour of God's light, into true life. It is really
true: as we follow Christ in this mission to be fishers of men, we must
bring men and women out of the sea that is salted with so many forms of
alienation and onto the land of life, into the light of God. It is really
so: the purpose of our lives is to reveal God to men. And only where God is
seen does life truly begin. Only when we meet the living God in Christ do we
know what life is. We are not some casual and meaningless product of
evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is
willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

See http://www.evolutionnews.org/index.php?p=258&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

My journalist colleague, a Catholic, notes, "The nice thing about breaking
decisively with Darwinism now (not that we ever fully adhered), is that
Catholics will find themselves at the emergent edge of science. This is
because, even in the academy, strict Darwinism is in the act of receding,
back into the primordial ooze."

B 16 is nobody's fool, and it will be interesting to see how his clearly
aimed comments are spun.

Denyse

--
Read brief excerpts from my book, By Design or by Chance?: The Growing
Controversy On the Origins of Life in the Universe (Augsburg Fortress, 2004)
at
http://www.designorchance.com/press.html
Study Guide:
http://www.arn.org/arnproducts/books/b088sk.htm
Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0806651776/qid=1109790930/sr=8
-1/ref=pd_csp_1/104-8617533-8799957?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
My blogs: http://www.christianity.ca/faith/features/weblog.html
http://cruxmag.typepad.com/sci_phi/
Denyse O'Leary
14 Latimer Avenue