Re: definition of science

From: Don Winterstein <dfwinterstein@msn.com>
Date: Mon Apr 25 2005 - 06:58:18 EDT

Moorad wrote:

"It is the goal of scientists to "mathematisize" as much as possible their discipline following the successful examples in the physical sciences."

Math models may be appropriate if the subject matter is numerically quantifiable, but not all subject matter is. To force math models onto subject matter that doesn't lend itself to quantitative description would be pretentious (and foolish).

Science without math can often make precise and valuable predictions. An important example I've mentioned before: Paleontologists predict that fossils of an organism will never be found in rocks more ancient than that kind of organism. From time to time predictions of this sort have proved false, because it was not known at the time how ancient the given kind of organism was; but that's just how science progresses. This prediction may seem trivial, but in fact it can be useful for dating rocks.

Don