YEC gains in Texas

From: Carol or John Burgeson <burgytwo@juno.com>
Date: Mon Apr 25 2005 - 12:18:01 EDT

Recent YEC gains in Texas.

"I don't believe in evolution -- I believe in creation. Some of our books

right now only teach evolution, [but] if you're going to teach one, you
ought to teach both. ... Evolution is a theory. It is a theory, it's not
fact. There is no fact for evolution, none. ... Why are we teaching a
theory, when we have [another] position -- creation -- that the majority
of
the people in this country believe?"

-- State Rep. Charlie Howard, R-Sugar Land, explaining the rationale
behind
his House Bill 220, which would give the religious-right-controlled State

Board of Education more influence over the content of public school
textbooks.
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/legislature/11466091.htm

**************
Biblical creationism could be taught side-by-side with evolution in
science
textbooks under legislation pending in the Texas House, according to the
bill's sponsor.
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/legislature/11466091.htm

CHURCH AND STATE
In a Sunday telecast organized by Christian conservative groups to
denounce
the Democrats as "against people of faith" for blocking judicial
nominees,
Senator Bill Frist of Tennessee stepped up his threats to change Senate
rules to circumvent those blockades while simultaneously calling for
"more
civility in political life."
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/25/politics/25justice.html

In the Lufkin Daily News, Louis Cable outlines the history and importance

of the separation of church and state. He also notes the numerous fronts
on
which the religious right is attempting to breach the wall: school
vouchers, charitable choice, religion in public schools and others.
http://www.lufkindailynews.com/opin/content/news/opinion/stories/2005/04/
24/20050424LDNcable.html

Burgy