RE: definition of science

From: Terry M. Gray <grayt@lamar.colostate.edu>
Date: Mon Apr 25 2005 - 11:53:13 EDT

Moorad, Keith, et al.

Is biology "physical" in your use of the word? How about psychology?

I'm not trying to invoke a sense of vital force here, but
philosophers of science, especially philosophers of biology, have
long advocated an autonomy of biology that makes it irreducible to
physics and chemistry (even though it may be fully built upon a
physics and chemistry substratum). In other words, there are
scientific concepts, laws, theories, etc. that can't be reduced to
some physical-chemical expression--they are expressed only in terms
of the biological world.

This is why I want to distinguish between physical and natural.

TG

--
Fort Collins, Colorado  80523