RE: definition of science

From: Dick Fischer <dickfischer@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun Apr 24 2005 - 10:11:01 EDT

Moorad wrote:

> Is the question of origins a scientific question?

If anthropology, paleo anthropology, biology and genetics are science, then
origins is a legitimate area of scientific inquiry.

>What role does mathematics play in your definition? In addition, can we
limit science to explanations and forget about predictions?

Math is part of everything we do. How would you develop flu vaccines, for
example, without predictions? Do you think a television channel would hire
a meteorologist who only explained the weather, but didn't predict the
weather? "Here on channel seven we only tell you if it's raining. We
won't hazard a guess about tomorrow, so be sure and carry your umbrellas."
I think I'd be watching channel nine.

www.genesisproclaimed.org