Re: definition of science

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Sat Apr 23 2005 - 21:32:43 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carol or John Burgeson" <burgytwo@juno.com>
To: <asa@calvin.edu>
Sent: Saturday, April 23, 2005 9:27 AM
Subject: definition of science

> on the definition of science, I offer these:
>
> science is a language game with a rule forbidding
> the use of teleological vocabulary.

Note sure about this. I've never been convinced that Hamilton's Principle
(aka least action) can't be understood as teleological, though not in terms
of an ultimate /telos/. Feynman's formulation of QM as a sum over histories
shows that Hamilton's Principle holds in the real world only as an
approximation, but that doesn't mean that it isn't legitimate science.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/