definition of science

From: Carol or John Burgeson <burgytwo@juno.com>
Date: Sat Apr 23 2005 - 09:27:49 EDT

on the definition of science, I offer these:

science is a language game with a rule forbidding
the use of teleological vocabulary.

source unknown
-------------
Science is a game in which we assume there is only a material universe
and see how we can explain what's going on.

Paraphrased from Dickerson (PERSPECTIVES article about 15 years ago) who
said it more elegantly.
-----------------
IN SCIENCE, WE CONTINUE TO PRESS FORWARD PERFECTING OUR MEANS
WHILE CONFUSING OUR ENDS.

That's from Einstein, I believe.
------------------
Numbers are not data.
Data are not facts.
Facts are not information.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not truth.
Truth is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not virtue.
Virtue is not love.
Love, however, is not chocolate!

Original source unknown -- embellished by me. It is either very profound
or very trivial; I can't decide which. (seriously, George). <G>
-----------
Finally -- these:

Goethe: Doubt grows with increasing knowledge.

Pascal: The last function of reason is to recognize that there exist an
infinitude of things that surpass it.

Unamundo: The supreme triumph of reason is to cast doubt on its own
validity.

Wilkinson: I used to think I was indecisive but now I'm not so sure.

Wilkinson: I think, therefore I am, I think.

Valery: Sometimes I think, and sometimes I am.

There once was a man who said "God
Must think it exceedingly odd,
If He finds that this tree,
Continues to be,
When there's no one about in the Quad."

Dear Sir, your astonishment's odd.
I am always about in the Quad.
And that's why the tree
Will continue to be,
Since observed by -- Yours faithfully, God

Burgy