Re: lamenting lurker

From: <Dawsonzhu@aol.com>
Date: Thu Apr 21 2005 - 22:17:33 EDT

Wayne:

Rich Faussette wrote:
>Can you address Ham's concerns? Can you scientifically support the morality
>he strives to maintain? Or do you believe that the morality is no longer
>important because of science? Does being a scientist mean you automatically move to
>the left and abandon the morality? Have any of you ever considered explaining
>the morality from a scientific point of view, and perhaps why it must be
>maintained? I think Ham's heart is in the right place with his words below, but he
>can't scientifically justify the morality so he rejects the science. He's
>afraid science DOES justify abandoning the morality. Does it?

The reason I go on as a Christian is because I don't see
morality coming from science. That is what G.E. Moore
termed the "naturalistic fallacy". I certainly cannot buy
into Kai Nielsen's views, although in many ways, they
_practically speaking_ correct. Christianity is not about
what it "practical", it is about what is right independent
of its practicality, and that's why I go on.

quote from Ken Ham:
>“If Christian leaders have told the next generation that one can accept the
>world’s teachings in geology, biology, astronomy, etc., and use these to
>(re)interpret God’s Word, then the door has been opened for this to happen in every
>area, including morality.”
>Ken Ham, A Young Earth ? It’s not the Issue! (AiG-USA Newsletter) January
>1998

Hmm...
Whether it be the concordists or some of the other
views I've read, no one here is using science to
"reinterpret God's word", they are using science to
_understand_ God's word. Certainly, YEC with their
"science" do great violence to both God's word and
science; distorting the systematic foundations of
science (built by many Christians), making God's word
laughable and projecting Christians as imbeciles.

True, we are "fools for Christ", but let us be called
"fools" for being morally upright and obedient to God's
word, not because of the folly of convoluting and
distorting the truth about the world so it will fit
into what we want to see in some book.

by Grace alone we proceed,
Wayne