RE: Death before the Fall and the extent of the Flood

From: bivalve <bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com>
Date: Tue Apr 19 2005 - 17:03:35 EDT

> As for the taxonomies, I would image that mammals are in a sense "nearly"
> defined by the groupings of flying things (birds/bats/insects/etc), creeping
> things/things that move along the ground (reptiles/insects/etc), and
> "livestock/wild animals(mostly mammals)".

Rats and mice seem to fall under creeping things rather than livestock/wild animals. Current molecular studies place them closer to primates than any other mammals occurring near the ancient Near East. Thus, the attempt to read "mammals" or "higher mammals" into the Biblical categories seems unlikely to succeed.

If death of non-mammals is OK then the death before the fall issue fails to rule out the geologic record up through the late Triassic (assuming that creation scientists probably don't adopt cladistic taxonomy).

    Dr. David Campbell
    Old Seashells
    University of Alabama
    Biodiversity & Systematics