RE: Death before the Fall and the extent of the Flood

From: bivalve <bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com>
Date: Mon Apr 18 2005 - 16:58:19 EDT

> If I understood the article correctly they state that things without a
> "nephesh" had death before Adam. It is only the higher ordered animals with
> a soul that begin to experience death after the fall.>
> Don P

The phrase "all that breathed" occurs not only in the description of what was wiped out by the Flood but also in Joshua 11 as what was wiped out by the invasion of Canaan. This raises questions about the extent to which animals are necessarily included.

I recall seeing the suggestion that higher mammals were the organisms that counted for no death. This claim is rather problematic, given that mammal was clearly not an ancient Hebrew taxonomic concept. Instead, they are divided among flying things, creeping things, etc.

    Dr. David Campbell
    Old Seashells
    University of Alabama
    Biodiversity & Systematics