Genographic study

From: Randy Isaac <rmisaac@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Sun Apr 17 2005 - 20:30:16 EDT

A couple of months ago I mentioned that I had attended a lecture by the geneticist Spencer Wells. Now I can tell the rest of the story. IBM and National Geographic announced a five-year project to track human migration over the last 60,000 years. Check it out at http://www5.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/. Unfortunately they charge $100 to participate but it would be interesting to join in and see what comes out of it. Wells depends on the rate of genetic change to track various migration paths. Someone replied to my previous note that these molecular clocks are highly variable. Checking into that further, I found that most of the variability comes when comparing different species or different segments of DNA. I think I remember Wells saying that they focused on the same portion of DNA and, of course, restrict the study to one species.

Randy