Re: numerologyand Aaron's breastplate: was : It's no joke

From: Vernon Jenkins <vernon.jenkins@virgin.net>
Date: Sat Apr 16 2005 - 16:28:23 EDT

Hi Don,

At this point in our discussion a little clarification appears desirable. Accordingly, let me recap the principal features of the breastplate matrix with respect to which the remarkable claims are being made.

a) It pertains strictly to the 12 tribes to whom land was apportioned following the conquest of the 'promised land'.

b) The order in which the names appear is based on the birth order of the respective progenitors - no account being taken of the mothers (which appear within the brackets).

Here is the ordered list which satisfies these premises:

1. REUBEN (Leah)
2. SIMEON (Leah)
3. JUDAH (Leah)
4. DAN (Rachel/Bilhah)
5. NAPHTALI (Rachel/Bilhah)
6. GAD (Leah/Zilpah)
7. ASHER (Leah/Zilpah)
8. ISSACHAR (Leah)
9. ZEBULUN (Leah)
10. BENJAMIN (Rachel)
11. MANASSEH (Rachel/Asenath)
12. EPHRAIM (Rachel/Asenath)

As we see, LEVI does not appear. The High Priest (who wore the breastplate) would, of course, have been a Levite - so this tribe, set aside for sacred duties, would not have been without representation. JOSEPH - to whom a double portion was promised through Jacob (Gen.48:22) - is also absent, but is here represented by his sons, Manasseh and Ephraim.

c) In keeping with the 'right-to-left' manner of Hebrew writing the 4x3 matrix into which this list is transplanted takes the form,

JUDAH SIMEON REUBEN
GAD NAPHTALI DAN
ZEBULUN ISSACHAR ASHER
EPHRAIM MANASSEH BENJAMIN

Clearly, there is nothing arbitrary about this arrangement. As I understand it, your main objection was that the list of 12 should, strictly, have been the sons of Jacob (as per the list provided earlier in our discussion). However, if we follow this line - using birth order, as before - nothing of numerical interest appears. The implication is that the given arrangement is the correct one.

Vernon
www.otherbiblecode.com

PS
 (i) With respect to GAD, 7 is the _value_ obtained from the fair alternative reading of his name; his _position_ in the list is 6, which places him in the 3rd position of the 2nd row.
(ii) Sorry about the 12! misunderstanding.