RE: Importance of Creation Debate

From: Don Perrett <donperrett@genesisproclaimed.org>
Date: Thu Apr 14 2005 - 23:53:38 EDT

Rich wrote:
  I do care which is why I wanted to present the verses. In the earliest
religious texts we have, these Vedic hymns, men are posing the question of
creation and are unable to answer it definitively.

  In Jewish mysticism, God is ineffable, unknowable. The Rig Veda does not
say say no one knows. It asks who knows? It speaks of the ineffability of
God.The last line in the creation hymn is a speculation.

  "Whence this creation has arisen - perhaps it formed itself, or perhaps it
did not - the one who looks down on it, in the highest heaven, only he
knows - or perhaps he does not know."

  I think the material explanation for creation can be determined (perhaps
only to the boundary of an adjoining universe). I think the religious
explanation for creation is ineffable if I am understanding Judaism and the
Vedic hymns correctly, so to me, expecting to understand creation is like
wrestling with God. You cannot win. I gave up because I don't think we're
going to solve the creation issue to anyone's satisfaction, and I think that
is the message of the Book of Job, that you cannot fathom God, you can only
repent and surrender to God.

  rich

Don P:
I guess perhaps the question is, if man has since earliest times, wondered
how God created everything, should we do the same? Or, should we just look
at the painting and appreciate it? Not worrying about how the painter
created it. If the latter question then would this not mean that scientific
fields of study should not be pursued, since inevitably it serves no (known)
function for the Lord?

Don P