Re: Importance of Creation Debate

From: <RFaussette@aol.com>
Date: Thu Apr 14 2005 - 18:52:05 EDT

In a message dated 4/14/05 11:33:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
donperrett@genesisproclaimed.org writes:
As to the origin of the passages, I might agree. But the question I pose is
in reference to its meaning. If by the quotation, "Who then knows whence it
has arisen?" you are implying that the Rg Veda is saying that no one knows,
this does not imply that no one cares about the creation. But I do appreciate
the input.

Don P
I do care which is why I wanted to present the verses. In the earliest
religious texts we have, these Vedic hymns, men are posing the question of creation
and are unable to answer it definitively.

In Jewish mysticism, God is ineffable, unknowable. The Rig Veda does not say
say no one knows. It asks who knows? It speaks of the ineffability of God.The
last line in the creation hymn is a speculation.

"Whence this creation has arisen - perhaps it formed itself, or perhaps it
did not - the one who looks down on it, in the highest heaven, only he knows -
or perhaps he does not know."

I think the material explanation for creation can be determined (perhaps only
to the boundary of an adjoining universe). I think the religious explanation
for creation is ineffable if I am understanding Judaism and the Vedic hymns
correctly, so to me, expecting to understand creation is like wrestling with
God. You cannot win. I gave up because I don't think we're going to solve the
creation issue to anyone's satisfaction, and I think that is the message of the
Book of Job, that you cannot fathom God, you can only repent and surrender to
God.

rich