RE: Importance of Creation Debate

From: Don Perrett <donperrett@genesisproclaimed.org>
Date: Thu Apr 14 2005 - 11:44:28 EDT

George wrote:

You're missing the point of the Job text. God is not providing proof there
that he is the creator. The questions are rhetorical ones whose purpose is
to show Job that he doesn't know enough to be able to question the way God
does things. & the resolution of the problem posed in the book,
unsatisfactory as it may seem to many people, is that Job admits that
(42:1-6).

Don P:
Perhaps this is what Rich meant. This is the answer I was looking for.
Thank you. I will agree that God is emphasizing his power and knowledge
over Job. But could he not have used many other ways to express the same
thing?

God is not represented here as providing answers to those questions - i.e.,
any proof that he is the creator. That never comes into question in the
Book of Job.

& in fact what God provides for what IS the question of the book is hardly
"proof." When Job demands to know why the righteous suffer, God's answer is
"Can you draw out Leviathan with a fishhook?"

Don P:
That never meant to imply that God was giving answers to the ways of
creation. But let me give you a hypothetical dialogue.

"Listen to me"
"Why should I listen"
"Am I not your boss?"

This last line (question) may be rhetorical, since both parties are surely
aware of there status/position. But it is given as a reason that the other
should listen. When God says to Job, "Where were you when """I""" ....", I
take the "Where were you" as the meaning you have stated. But with the
inclusion of """I""" it seems to me that God not only tries to put Job in
his place, he also places himself within the perspective. In doing so, he
is saying that HE alone is God. This was what I meant by proof of creation.
If any other God were to make the claim without the """I""" then it would
not have this meaning.

Don P