Re: Science vs. Theology - how they help each other

From: Jan de Koning <jan@dekoning.ca>
Date: Thu Apr 14 2005 - 10:35:18 EDT

At 09:14 AM 4/14/2005, Loren Haarsma wrote:

>Brent Foster asked the questions:
> > Is it appropriate to allow what we know from the study of creation
> > to affect how we study and interpret scripture?
> > Is it appropriate to allow what we know from the study of scripture
> > to affect how we study and interpret creation?
>
>I would say yes and yes. But there are good ways and bad ways to do each.
>
> THEOLOGY AFFECTS SCIENCE:

Both Theology and Science are founded on the "philosophy" one has
accepted. Consequently, trying to decide whether "Science" is right or
"Theology" is right does not get us anywhere, if we do not start with "What
kind of Philosophy is the background of your life." I know, that I let
myself in for a lot of criticism and an unending discussion this way, but I
hope someone else will do the discussing. My main point is, that the
discussing becomes totally fruitless if one just stays with a statement
"Theology affects Science". in itself that is not true. Though I say the
Bible is true, I know that there are many exegeses of the Bible, all based
on the question:: "How do you read the Bible?" a question based on what
kind of Philosophy do you accept.

Jan de Koning