Re: Importance of Creation Debate

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Thu Apr 14 2005 - 07:57:31 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Perrett" <donperrett@genesisproclaimed.org>
To: "ASA Discussions (E-mail)" <asa@calvin.edu>
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 1:53 AM
Subject: Importance of Creation Debate

> Hello All,
>
> Since having join this list, I have heard and seen many instances where
> people have stated that the debate over creation is pointless or
> unnecessary; that time is better spent on other things. I certainly agree
> that other things are important, but for those of you who hold the above
> view, please can you explain the following passages:
>
> Job 38
>
> 4 "Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation?
>
> Tell me, if you understand.
>
> 5 Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know!
>
> Who stretched a measuring line across it?
>
> 6 On what were its footings set,
>
> or who laid its cornerstone-
>
> 7 while the morning stars sang together
>
> and all the angels [a] shouted for joy?
>

> If the idea of proven the creation is not important to us, then why is it
> important to HIM. It would seem to me that any god can say that he
> created
> the universe. Are we to take it on faith alone that "our" God created it.
> I am of the view that passages such as the above are intended specifically
> to show that God himself is providing the proof.
>
> Not to take out of context: "I'm right, and if you don't think I'm right,
> just ask me and I'll tell you how right I am." (sorry Dave, I know this is
> not what you meant by this statement)
>
> I do not believe that God is stating the above. Therefore there must be a
> reason for his statements to Job.
>
> Anyone that can offer another reason for the statements of God please
> enlighten me.

You're missing the point of the Job text. God is not providing proof there
that he is the creator. The questions are rhetorical ones whose purpose is
to show Job that he doesn't know enough to be able to question the way God
does things. & the resolution of the problem posed in the book,
unsatisfactory as it may seem to many people, is that Job admits that
(42:1-6).

God is not represented here as providing answers to those questions - i.e.,
any proof that he is the creator. That never comes into question in the
Book of Job.

& in fact what God provides for what IS the question of the book is hardly
"proof." When Job demands to know why the righteous suffer, God's answer is
"Can you draw out Leviathan with a fishhook?"

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/