numerologyand Aaron's breastplate: was : It's no joke

From: Don Nield <d.nield@auckland.ac.nz>
Date: Wed Apr 13 2005 - 20:04:12 EDT

Hi Vernon:
The whole thing is very arbitrary.
1. Exod. 28:30 says that Aaron will bear the names of the sons of Israel
in the breastpiece --- not the names of some sons and some grandsons.
2. The order of entries into the 3 times 4 matrix is completely
arbitrary. Gen.35:22-26 lists the names of the sons of Israel, all 12
of them. For example, Gad is number 11 on the list, and according to
Chapter 30 of Genesis he was the the second to last to be born.. Gad
codes to 7, and 7 is placed in the (2,1) position of the matrix., an
arbitrary position. Even without considering substitutions of grandsons
for sons, there are factorial 12 (about half a billion) of ways of
putting the entries into the matrix, so it is not surprising that one
combination yields something interesting.

You, Vernon, may be impressed by this numerology but I am not.
Don

--
Donald A. Nield
Associate Professor, Department of Engineering Science