Re: Science vs. Theology

From: Jan de Koning <jan@dekoning.ca>
Date: Wed Apr 13 2005 - 09:55:01 EDT

At 08:09 AM 4/13/2005, RFaussette@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 4/13/05 12:07:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>donperrett@genesisproclaimed.org writes:
>And for
>those wishing to save others from the failings of modern atheism, we must
>find a way to reconcile the bible with science.
>
>Don P
>
>The only parts of the bible you can reconcile with today's science
>are those having to do with the psychology and anthropology of man.
>Reconciling the bible with geology or physics misses the point entirely.
>By doing that you are saying that God himself wrote the bible so it must
>be scientifically right, but God revealed himself to (through) men who
>wrote the Bible and though the geological and physical science of those
>ancient men to whom Biblical truths were revealed is now superceded, the
>psychological and anthropological truths they recorded in the Bible that
>cause communities of men to survive and prosper are still as constant and
>reliable now as they were in ancient times. I would stop wasting my time
>working the creation account which has nothing to do with human perfection
>and understand the practical efficacy of the beliefs and practices we find
>in the Bible which have everything to do with human perfection in the face
>of God.
>
>rich

Even psychology and anthropology should be excluded, since we read the
Bible then as if bible writers knew modern psychology and
anthropology. God did speak a language people could understand. Teaching
any science in the Bible was not the intention of God, I believe. God
wants us to change our hearts, change our outlook on life. That is not
only written for scientists but for all men, regardless of schooling. To
try to fin any scientific knowledge will not work in the long
run. Another difficulty is that none of us know the written language of
the Bible as it was understood by the first hearers of the gospel. To
think that the gospels will be able to teach us modern science will fail in
the long run.

Jan de Koning