RE: Science vs. Theology

From: Don Perrett <donperrett@genesisproclaimed.org>
Date: Wed Apr 13 2005 - 00:05:42 EDT

Hi Brent,

Consider this. Regardless of how we view creation, does not change whether
it was created or not. A truth by very definition is actual and real, and
thus needs no proof. The concept of science is to understand the means,
process and sometimes purpose of a truth. Theology, generally, is more
concerned with the purpose of a truth, but not always its means. While
understanding the process of creation may be important, the purpose is far
more important. Without purpose, all science becomes irrelevant. Can one
live without knowing the processes? Absolutely. But for those who cannot
go through life without knowing HOW something is, it is important that they
attempt to reconcile their scientific views with scripture. In whatever
form or process they can achieve this. The purpose of which should be for
them to understand the scripture. Assuming that science is conducted in a
way befitting its purpose then physical truths will be self revealed.
Scripture however is open to far more interpretation than "whether the sun
exists and by what processes does it function". Understanding a physical
processes can provide insight into WHY it exists and WHY it functions the
way it does. But this should be done in light of scripture. If however one
takes the bible and tries to fit it into science, i.e. YEC, problems will
occur. If you first have a purpose and proof of existence, this will not
lead you to a process. Assuming one is not handicapped, everyone knows they
exist, and everyone knows why they are at a given place at a given time. I
am here right now. And I am here to work for my employer. This does not
tell me HOW I am to do in this job. This must be instructed. If however I
know I exist and I know HOW I am to do this job, then I can draw a
conclusion as to WHY I am doing it. Point is, both go hand in hand. For
those who do not believe in scripture, they are likely to fail at achieving
a purpose, without coming to the conclusion that they are here for NO reason
or solely for themselves. Of course those that do not believe in science
may understand their purpose but never understand how they got here or how
things work. Not a terrible way to live but people cannot live in a vacuum.
And right now we live in a world of technology and must learn to live by the
rules of our society, so long as it does not corrupt our souls. And for
those wishing to save others from the failings of modern atheism, we must
find a way to reconcile the bible with science.

Don P