RE: BIBLE

From: bivalve <bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com>
Date: Tue Apr 12 2005 - 13:25:46 EDT

> I've been doing some reading on the ASA site site and thought you all might
> be able to help me with this issue. If God created man via evolution, then
> it would seem that much of what we call our sin nature is the result of our
> evolutionary heritage. Lust and greed are displayed by animals. It is
> possible that tendencies toward unselfishness and altruism may have also
> evolved along with societies, since these qualities are more compatible with
> civilized living than lust and greed. The Romans 7 struggle that we have
> within ourselves between our sin nature and what we Christians call our "new
> nature" would seem to be explained by these two opposing "instincts," both
> inherited from our ancestors.
>
> This would seem to do away with the Biblical notion of sin and righteousness,
> and replace them both with instincts that arose from evolutionary
> expediency.

How does this do away with the Biblical notion of sin and righteousness? It only suggests possible factors influencing our inclinations to sin or not to.

It's debatable whether lust and greed can properly be attributed to animals, as the degree of willfulness is unclear. However, it is certainly true that we would be lustful or greedy to emulate certain behaviors of certain animals. On the other hand, the drive to spread one's genes can have legitimate expressions such as care for one's family. Likewise, we can find ways in which altruistic or other good behavior can fit into an evolutionary concept.

But it certainly doesn't contradict the Bible to assert that we have innate tendencies to do wrong, nor to claim that doing what is right is ultimately in our own interest.

    Dr. David Campbell
    Old Seashells
    University of Alabama
    Biodiversity & Systematics