Re: Science vs. Theology

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Mon Apr 11 2005 - 20:01:24 EDT

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 21:44:08 +0000 <bdffoster@charter.net> writes:
> God gave us scripture, and God gave us creation. He is the author of
> both. Is it appropriate to allow what we know from the study of
> creation to affect how we study and interpret scripture? I think
> many on this list, including myself, would answer yes. But how many
> of us would answer yes to the converse: is it appropriate to allow
> what we know from the study of scripture to affect how we study and
> interpret creation? As a scientist my knee jerk reaction is to say
> "no way!". But how can you honestly answer yes to one and not the
> other? After further reflection, I lean toward yes to both
> questions. But (it's a big but, yes I have a big but) scientific
> studies should not force scripture to say something it doesn't say.
> And theological studies should not force creation to say something
> it doesn't say. I also think a case can be made for answering yes to
> the former and no to the latter. And I think some YECs would answer
> no to the former and yes to the latter. But I am interested!
> in what the Christian scientific community has to say.
>
> Brent

Brent,
Let me give you something to look at. Paul Seely does a thorough job in
/Westminster Theological Journal/, but you can do this on your own.
Consider "firmament," translated /stereoma/ (solid, as in solid geometry)
in LXX. The KJV comes from the Vulgate term. It has water above it, noted
in connection with the Flood and also in a Psalm, with sluice gates. The
heavenly bodies are stuck on it (preposition is /be/, as begins the
chapter--in, among, within, into, at, by on, against, upon, with--Strong
does not give entries for prepositions) and birds fly above the earthy in
front of it (check the Hebrew terminology on this). Can you honestly make
the firmament into the atmosphere or empty space?
Dave