Science vs. Theology

From: <bdffoster@charter.net>
Date: Mon Apr 11 2005 - 17:44:08 EDT

God gave us scripture, and God gave us creation. He is the author of both. Is it appropriate to allow what we know from the study of creation to affect how we study and interpret scripture? I think many on this list, including myself, would answer yes. But how many of us would answer yes to the converse: is it appropriate to allow what we know from the study of scripture to affect how we study and interpret creation? As a scientist my knee jerk reaction is to say "no way!". But how can you honestly answer yes to one and not the other? After further reflection, I lean toward yes to both questions. But (it's a big but, yes I have a big but) scientific studies should not force scripture to say something it doesn't say. And theological studies should not force creation to say something it doesn't say. I also think a case can be made for answering yes to the former and no to the latter. And I think some YECs would answer no to the former and yes to the latter. But I am interested!
  in what the Christian scientific community has to say.

Brent