Re: Mountains

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Mon Apr 11 2005 - 00:37:12 EDT

Bill wrote, in small part,

I’d rather stick with Jesus than Jonathan. In Matthew 23, which you seem
to be using as justification to attack Christians, the harsh language is
addressed to the scribes and Pharisees, who apparently were not children
of God: “You serpent, you brood of vipers, how are you to escape being
sentenced to hell?” (Matthew 23:33) Care to try again, Michael?

MR I would suggest that the whole controversy and nastiness over
creationism in all its forms would disappear overnight if YECs would make
sure that they never misrepresent and misquote others. Except that those
on the other side are now embittered whether Chrsitian or not that their
suspiscions wpould take a long time to go.

Are you saying Baumgardner misquoted the authors he referenced, and
therefore you (and Glenn) are justified in attacking him?

May I note that the Pharisees were the "fundamentalists" of the time?
that Paul bragged of being a Pharisee? that the scribes were the careful
students of the Law? Jesus did not condemn their interpretation of
scripture (see 23:23), but their lives and the effect of their lives.

Since the effect of the YEC interpretation of Genesis turns those who
know science away from faith and makes them mock the scriptures, are you
going to commend them? Since in singleminded pursuit of their view they
misrepresent the work of scholars, make every discussion of evolutionary
mechanisms the denial of evolution, produce "explanations" for various
phenomena that are logically incompatible, how are they justified? I have
noted that scientists who make a mistake are the first to correct it with
a public admission. Misrepresenting conclusions leads to strong reaction.
Dave