Re: It's no joke!

From: Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Apr 10 2005 - 13:54:24 EDT

Thanks for the explanation of the meaning of the Hebrew. It would be good if
it were possible to have a translation into English that conveys the meaning
you intend. I'm not too convinced by your Jeremiah quote, because it seems
to me that this is deliberate poetic exaggeration in describing a *feeling*
that the person had. In Scottish slang there is an expression for a hangover
"Ma heid's full o' wee bottles and they're all crackin", but does not have a
literal meaning. I'm not so sure that the flood narrative is a similar genre
of expression to "all my bones shake".

However, I am aware that the flood narrative is a strict literary form - a
chiasm, in fact, (e.g. ABA or ABCBA or ABCDCBA). If I recall there are 31
sections, with mirroring and the central bit being God remembering Noah in
the middle of the storm.

Btw it's Iain not Lain.

--
Those who can count and those who can't.