Re: It's no joke!

From: Dick Fischer <dickfischer@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun Apr 10 2005 - 13:24:26 EDT
Lain wrote (to Christopher):

You assert that it is Vernon's interpretation of the flood that is at fault, but I don't see what your interpretation is.  For example, what is your interpretation of Gen 7:22-23? Particularly 23, which (in the NIV) states "Every living thing on the face of the earth was wiped out"

My seventeen year-old daughter remarked to a friend on the phone the other day, "And I was like, 'Yeah, right!'"  Made perfectly good sense to me.  But if it was translated word for word into Hebrew and read to Moses 3500 years ago, I'm not sure he would have understood it.  The reverse is also true.  We take Hebrew words, translate them directly into English, and then try to figure out what they mean in a vacuum of extra-biblical information.  That's why the local, Mesopotamian flood has been misunderstood as a global catastrophe.

The words for "earth" and "land" are the same in Hebrew.  And in typical Hebrew fashion, "all" and "every" are less encompassing.  Jeremiah 23:9 says: "Mine heart within me is broken because of the prophets; all my bones shake ..."

Try to shake 206 bones.  It ain't easy.  By the same token "every creature" on the face of the [land] can die without effect on the kangaroo population.

Read Genesis as Semitic history, not as human history, and every thing pretty much falls into place.

Dick Fischer  - Genesis Proclaimed Association
www.genesisproclaimed.org