RE: Switch to a web forum rather than email

From: <glennmorton@entouch.net>
Date: Sat Apr 09 2005 - 09:57:42 EDT
For me, there are features on a web based approach one can't use in email. One can post pictures to aid in the discussion.  This is especially helpful when dealing with people who have never seen geology.

On Sat Apr 9 5:39 , "Hon Wai Lai" sent:

Terry,

If the motivation for a web-based forum is to deal with the heavy volume
of emails, it seems to me this can be adequately dealt with by each
member setting up filtering rules in their emailing software.

Most emailing softwares like Microsoft Outlook have filtering system (go
to Tools/Rules Wizard) that immediately moves arriving emails with
specified characteristics to specified folders. I set up rules that move
all emails sent to "asa@calvin.edu" into folder Inbox/ASA discussion.
This way, all non-personal emails are always separated from personal
ones which usually require a high level of attention. I would look at
the ASA discussion folder every few days, sort them by sender or by
subject header. This allows me to efficiently identify informative
emails from "noise" or uninteresting ones, as I know from past emails
the senders who tend to post informative materials. I can also quickly
delete a group of emails by the same subject header if the initial
postings are not of interest. Filtering rules can also delete emails
automatically with certain characteristics e.g. from particular senders.

If ASA members follow the convention of prefacing subject headers by
some standardised topic title in square brackets (e.g. [YEC], [ID],
[ethical issues], [Vernon's wacky ideas] etc.), the filtering rule can
move emails into subfolders in the designated "ASA discussion" folder.
This system imitates the threading system of a web-based forum.

I find emails very convenient. Checking up a website, and clicking on
links are troublesome. Moreover, I archive a small portion of the emails
into subfolders with an informative names for future reference.