Re: Switch to a web forum rather than email

From: Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com>
Date: Sat Apr 09 2005 - 04:04:37 EDT

I tend to agree with Don, and would like to have the email continued (or
available at any rate). Modern email clients, such as Mozilla Thunderbird,
and also the google Gmail web interface, have the ability to organize
conversations into threads, which makes going through a discussion on a
topic pretty similar to using a forum. For example, the Gmail interface
stores all the emails in one subject on one line in the inbox, and when you
open it, you get a "stack of cards" with just the sender name and first line
on each tab. You can open up each tab pretty much instantly, and also you
can easily search for phrases in your emails (using Google search).

Admittedly this is only for gmail users like me (though I have a stack of
invitations for others who would like Gmail - which currently only works via
invitation). In my view a web forum would not necessarily be as good - and I
have noticed in the past that the ASA archive web pages at
calvin.edu<http://calvin.edu>are often pretty slow loading, as opposed
to the instant response with Gmail
(or indeed having the email locally on your machine).

Another point that occurs to me concerns a deliberate list policy that Terry
mentioned. I queried the fact that the Reply To: field was to the original
sender and not to the list, so that if you wanted to send to the list, you'd
either have to do "Reply All" or cc it to the list. I'd had a couple of
occasions where I'd inadvertently sent one just to the sender and not the
list. Terry explained that this was to protect the reputation of a poster
who might have made a hasty response - you have to definitely "opt in" in
order to send to the list and it might make you think twice about what you
wrote. This level of protection would be lost if you posted to a web-forum
as the default response mode. I have noticed in the past, that web-forums
can often degenerate into flame wars, and also I have noticed that
discussions in this list have been somewhat "robust". I think there may be
an increased risk of flame wars if there were a forum, and for this reason I
would be against the idea.

Another point that occurs to me is that in Web forums, posters can choose to
hide their email address, as they log in under a display name (e.g. "The
Pink Rabbit"). It seems to me that this invites trouble-makers to join in
and retain their anonymity. I would have thought that using email and having
to reveal an email address is a better option.

Iain.

--
Those who can count and those who can't.