Re: Mu (Was Re: CT article: Darwinists, not Christians, stonewalling the facts)

From: Peter Ruest <pruest@dplanet.ch>
Date: Thu Apr 07 2005 - 11:05:52 EDT

George Murphy wrote to Glenn Morton (5 Apr 2005):...

> This is intriguingly close to the standard ID argument: Somehow our
> ancestral line went from 48 to 46 chromosomes & we don't understand how that
> happened so it was a miracle. But (a) we don't know that that couldn't have
> happened by some natural process (& here I confess I'm no evolutionary
> geneticist & it would be helpful if someone who is would weigh in) & (b)
> even if it was a miracle, how do we know it was the particular miracle
> you've thought up? So your claim for historicity is about 4 removes from
> plausibility. ...

Finlay G., "Homo divinus: The ape that bears Godís image", Science & Christian
Belief 15 (2003), 17-40.

Greame Finlay, a cell biologist at the University of Auckland, New Zealand,
writes: "The genetic content of human chromosome 2 is co-linear with that of the
two great ape chromosomes from which it is derived. At band 2q21 lie the remains
of the redundant centromere of one of the ancestral chromosomes. Such telomeric
fusions are familiar phenomena, arising by naturally occurring mechanisms."
(referring to Martin C.L. et al., "The evolutionary origin of human subtelomeric
homologies - or where the ends begin", Am.J.Hum.Genet. 70 (2002), 972)

Each chromosome needs exactly one centromere and two terminal telomeres. Each of
the two ape chromosomes concerned has its centromere near one of the telomeres.
The fusion occurred (in the haploid state) between the telomeres of the short
arms. The fusion point between these two ape chromosomes can be recognized in
the human chromosome 2 as the head-to-head remains of two fused telomeres,
flanked on one side by the existing centromere inherited from one of the ape
chromosomes, and on the other side by the centromeric relic of the other ape
chromosome. Apparently, no essential gene was lost or damaged in the fusion
process. Telomers are highly repetitive sequences which can easily fuse by means
of unequal crossing-over during replication. The end result of the process was
the decrease of the (diploid) ape chromosome number of 48 to the 46 of humans.

It represents one of the many extremely strong indications of common descent of
humans and primates. Whether a miracle was involved, we don't know; at this
point, the processes are quite natural. Whether this was _the_ crucial
transition (on the physical/biological level) between ape and human, we don't
know. Whether this has any direct connection (e.g. in time) with God's creating
humans in His image, we don't know, either.

Peter