Re: It's no joke!

From: Vernon Jenkins <vernon.jenkins@virgin.net>
Date: Tue Apr 05 2005 - 16:53:15 EDT

Hi Christopher,

remote measurement of decay rates - as in supernovae, you wrote:

"The light curves of supernovae during the postmaximum decay phase
are powered by the decay of radioactive nuclei, in particular Ni-56
and Co-56. Not only that, but we can see the spectra of these and
other radioactive nuclei, and the gamma rays given off when they decay.
The decay rates are exactly the same as observed in the lab. No
uniformitarian assumptions there, just direct observations."

I still have some difficulty getting my head around the quantitative
implications of all this. Is it your claim that _no_ assumptions of any kind are
involved in the procedure?

of _local_ changes in these rates (as suggested by Baumgardner et al)
as a result of a global cataclysm (e.g. the Noahic Flood)? If so, on
what basis?, you wrote:

"As to any global Noah's flood, which is a figment of imagination of
the 7th Day Adventist Church, and the YECs who picked up on that,
such a global catastrophe, even if it had taken place, would not
have effected decay rates. With the exception of electron capture,
which can be affected to some extent by the environment, regular
alpha and beta decay are totally unaffected by the environment the
atom is in. I suggest that YECs should take a course in nuclear
physics 101."

Whether or not one is a 7th Day Adventist, I suggest a straight reading of
Genesis 6-9 inclusive fosters the understanding that the Noahic Flood
was _universal_. Remarkably, you then appear to imply that there is
nothing left to know about sub-atomic particle physics, and further assume
that the local environment during the Mabbul via-a-vis decay rates was much
as we experience today. Can you prove that it was? If not, then I suggest
the matter (including the universality of the Flood) is hardly _closed_ ,as
your words suggest, but wide open to further careful inquiry - which is
what the RATE program is all about.

Vernon
www.otherbiblecode.com

[...]

  Christopher Sharp

    Hi Christopher,

    Yes, by all means 'chip in'.

    Before I address the points you make, perhaps you would be good enough to fill me in on the technique(s) for the measurement of decay rates remotely - as in supernovae.

    Do you discount the possibility of _local_ changes in these rates (as suggested by Baumgardner et al) as a result of a global cataclysm (e.g. the Noahic Flood)? If so, on what basis?

    Vernon
    www.otherbiblecode.com