RE: Mithra

From: Dick Fischer <dickfischer@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue Apr 05 2005 - 16:02:08 EDT
I contacted John Haught at Georgetown.  He said this:

"I visited San Clemente in Rome and saw the rooms where the Mithraic brotherhood met (it was a pretty macho cult, but very moving in terms of expressing the need to bond around a heroic figure)."

Glenn wrote:

The differences you describe pale in comparison with the differences between Christianity and Buddhism etc.  You have basically, in microcosm, made my point about fideism.  If belief is the only basis for determining truth, rather than some observation, then clearly it is very easy to fool oneself.  In which case, refusing to risk that the Bible might be false is quite reasonable because the answer is already known.

Hey, if a religion comes along with better data and evidence than mine, I'll jump ship.  As Sgt. Friday used to say, "Just the facts."  I can sort them out for myself.

I've discovered, however, that the ability to sort out the facts and reach logical, consistent conclusions varies from individual to individual.  Agendas and preconceptions are formidable impediments.  Add to that misconception, misunderstanding, and misinformation and it can be a confusing milieu with which we try to sort out how we can attain eternal life and escape hellfire and damnation.

Your either/or, right or wrong, way of looking at things isn't how I look at things.  I weigh everything and sort them out into likelihoods.  Then choose what seems most likely, based upon the accumulation of data, and follow that path.  That might not work for everybody.

I used to argue with a Catholic friend of mine.  He bought into every church dogma without equivocation.  Transubstantiation (wine of the Eucharist turns into the blood of Christ in your tummy), the Immaculate Conception (Mary had no natural father), the appointing of saints (Pope calls the shots) were irrefutable beliefs in his mind and open to inquiry in my mind.  I don't think Catholicism is "wrong," it just has some baggage I can't buy into.

If eternal life and a right way to live are goals, then Christianity in its many forms is good for that.  For those not interested in those goals, there are plenty of alternatives.  Mithra might do just as well as anything else.

Dick Fischer  - Genesis Proclaimed Association
www.genesisproclaimed.org