RE: Mithra

From: Dick Fischer <dickfischer@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon Apr 04 2005 - 23:47:54 EDT
Hi Glenn, you wrote:

Commonality isn't the issue. Truth is. Which one is true.

Well, you have on this list Catholics, Baptists, Lutherans, Prebyterians, etc.  We all differ on some issues.  Which is true?  How can you know?  Is the Bible true?  None of the manuscripts that exist today are original.  No two are alike.  How many translations are there?  None of them are alike either.

In short, we can't know what is true with 100% certainty.  Not in science.  Not in religion.  We can only have confidence that something is likely to be true when we can substantiate it with supporting data and evidence.  The more evidence we have, the greater the certainty.

Mithra is an ancient belief.  The only thing that makes it remarkable is the similarities between it and our Christian beliefs.  But our beliefs in the teachings of Christ are superior due to the amount of data and evidence we can garner in support.  Who are the apostles martyred for their belief in Mithra?  Who was struck blind and accosted on the road to Damascus by the risen Mithra?  Who stuck his fingers in the holes in the hands and side of Mithra?  And so on.  There is good data to support our faith.  We can't lose sight of that.

Dick Fischer  - Genesis Proclaimed Association
www.genesisproclaimed.org Received on Mon Apr 4 23:49:41 2005