Re: Naturalism

From: bivalve <bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com>
Date: Mon Apr 04 2005 - 19:50:56 EDT

> If we found a natural mechanism which produced festering boils on people, should we rule out the idea that this plague was God's action?

No. Everyday experience tells us that most things happen according to natural mechanisms. There are also plenty of examples of false claims of supernatural events. Thus, it makes sense to suspect that a claimed supernatural event is actually natural. More importantly, we must recognize that having a natural mechanism does not rule out God's role. In the particular example, the plague was probably caused by some natural disease-causing organism; however, some careful work in the planning department was needed to ensure that only Egyptians were afflicted and not their Hebrew neighbors.

    Dr. David Campbell
    Old Seashells
    University of Alabama
    Biodiversity & Systematics