Re: It's no joke!

From: <CMSharp01@aol.com>
Date: Mon Apr 04 2005 - 18:11:09 EDT

Hi Vernon,

The light curves of supernovae during the postmaximum decay phase
are powered by the decay of radioactive nuclei, in particular Ni-56
and Co-56. Not only that, but we can see the spectra of these and
other radioactive nuclei, and the gamma rays given off when they decay.
The decay rates are exactly the same as observed in the lab. No
uniformitarian assumptions there, just direct observations.

As to any global Noah's flood, which is a figment of imagination of
the 7th Day Adventist Church, and the YECs who picked up on that,
such a global catastrophe, even if it had taken place, would not
have effected decay rates. With the exception of electron capture,
which can be affected to some extent by the environment, regular
alpha and beta decay are totally unaffected by the environment the
atom is in. I suggest that YECs should take a course in nuclear
physics 101.

Christopher Sharp