Re: Suicide (was PCA statement on end of life decisions)

From: Freeman, Louise Margaret <lfreeman@mbc.edu>
Date: Mon Apr 04 2005 - 17:13:59 EDT

I can certainly empathsize with anyone in that position, as my family had to
make that decision for my father a year ago. He had advanced Alzheimers.

If by operate you mean inserting a feeding tube, and if a reference to
medical research helps, there are two recent articles (New England Journal
of Medicine 342:206-210 and Journal of the American Medical Association
282(14) 1365-70) that did an extensive lit review and found
1) no evidence that feeding tubes significantly prolong the life of advanced
dementia patients, compared to continuing hand feeding
2) no evidence that tube feedings reduce, and some evidence that they may
actually increase aspiration of stomach contents or saliva, and the
associated pneumonia.
3) no evidence that feeding tubes reduce discomfort, and some evidence that
they may actually increase it.
4) most dementia patients on feeding tubes have to be restrained to keep
them from pulling them out, and this restraint seems to cause agitation and
distress.

Both articles concluded that the harm caused often outweighs the benefits
and recommended against the routine use of feeding tubes in such patients.
These articles were not commenting on Terry Schiavo like cases, were the
tubes clearly do prolong life.

I think a Biblical case can be made for making dying people as comfortable
as possible (ie Proverbs 31's instruction to give wine to the dying). I
have little doubt that in Biblical times, giving wine to the critically ill
did shorten their lives, and I think the same reasoning could apply to
morphine drips and to rejecting a feeding tube or other surgical procedure
that would cause pain or distress.