Re: Suicide (was PCA statement on end of life decisions)

From: Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Mon Apr 04 2005 - 16:09:26 EDT

The two worst funerals to take are suicides and children. What do you say to a family whose 28 yr son has just hanged himself, without any indications of problems? I also conducted the funeral of a young soldier found with a bullet in his head at Deepcut Barracks - where 6 recruits have been found dead with bullets in their head in the last 10 years. These funerals still haunt me and are the only ones which do. They were totally devoid of joy, and far more numbing than that of a child. The pain is far worse than either cancer or a car crash. The worst was a friend who drank paraquat on the anniversary of her father's suicide. Could one say that suicide not only kills oneself but one's family as well. It causes guilt on those left far more than any other death.I see the pain whenever I meet the suicide's mother.
I think I can "understand" suicide but it cannot be seen as right. It raises a few questions about the ethics of many groups like the Samaritans. But how can one support the death penalty but not abortion and euthanasia?

On euthansia is there a difference between active killing and passive killing e.g. giving more morphine to reduce pain knowing that it will shorten what time is left, or withdrawing life support systems? One morning at 7 o'clock a parishoner rang up and asked what to do about her 95 yr old mother in hospital. The doctors had given her a choice as she could not swallow; either let her die in a few days or operate and prolong her life (delay her death) for a few weeks. I had to find a way of assuring her that whatever she told the doctors she was morally right and a loving daughter.

Michael