RE: Mithra

From: Dick Fischer <dickfischer@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon Apr 04 2005 - 11:42:13 EDT

I think you have to look at the commonalities and decide whether or not there is a link or it is simply a coincidence. For my taste, there are too many points of commonality for me to believe there is no relationship of some kind. I know, for example, that the Accadians believed in three gods at the inception, only becoming polytheistic through their association with the Sumerians. So a "trinity" associated with Mithra doesn't surprise me at all if there is a Semitic influence. Viewing Mithra as a precursor religion based upon Semitic prophecy is at least a possible explanation if you believe a common link exists. If you don't see enough commonalities to convince you of a significance, well then, you don't see them.

Dick Fischer
www.genesisproclaimed.org
Genesis Proclaimed Association