Mithra

From: Dick Fischer <dickfischer@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon Apr 04 2005 - 00:18:34 EDT

Hi Glenn, you wrote:

>>I would agree that Christ wasn't born on Dec. 25, but the fact is, that by taking on the trappings of another religion, true theology can get hammered and it makes my question even more vital.<<

I'm not so sure it is wholly another religion. Elam was Shem's firstborn according to Genesis 10:22. Elam is recorded in Persian history as one of their kings. When Sumer was destroyed by the Persians in 2000 BC, they were called "Elamites." I think it is entirely possible that the legend of Mithra was a Semitic prophecy of the coming Messiah.

When Moses was placed in a reed basket, it was just as Sargon, the first Semitic ruler of ancient Sumer (2370 BC), described had happened to him.

Had any of these earlier religious stories eminated from Africa, or China, or the Americas or anyplace outside the immediate area of the Near East, it might call the authenticity of Christianity into question, but Semites are special, and they knew more than what ended up in the Old Testament.

www.genesisproclaimed.org