Re: It's no joke!

From: Randy Isaac <rmisaac@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Sun Apr 03 2005 - 21:06:25 EDT

Roger Wiens is the expert on radiometric dating and the following two
paragraphs are extracted from his article:

"The older the sample, the less carbon-14 it should contain. But in
attempting to date very old samples, much older than the half-life of
carbon-14, the analysis becomes very prone to contamination. A fleck of
skin, a pollen grain, a human hair, or even adsorbed air on a sample surface
will have a high carbon-14 content giving a radiocarbon age of zero years.
If one of these contaminates a very ancient sample that has essentially no
remaining carbon-14, the resulting contaminated analysis sees a measurable
amount of carbon-14 (contamination), mixed with carbon-12 from the rock.
This makes it appear that the rock has a carbon-14 amount that has decayed
over only a few half lives. In this way, a small amount of contamination
makes a several million year old rock appear to be only several tens of
thousands of years old! Because contamination in our air environment is
unavoidable, all samples, no matter how old, appear to have some
radiocarbon. Speaking in terms of uncertainty analysis (Chapter 5), the
error is very non-linear. A very small amount of contamination from air or
living matter causes a very huge error, in the millions of years if the rock
is that old.

            It is generally accepted that for samples older than about
40,000 years (that is, with less than 0.5 percent modern carbon ratio) one
must use a method with a longer half life. Fortunately, when using an
appropriate half-life, these huge non-linear errors are avoided. In fact,
radiocarbon is a unique case; in all of the methods described below it is
impossible to obtain consistently young ages on samples that are really
millions of years old."

Vernon, it does seem to be powerful evidence indeed--for sample
contamination.

Randy