Re: It's no joke!

From: gordon brown <gbrown@euclid.colorado.edu>
Date: Sun Apr 03 2005 - 20:25:37 EDT

Vernon,

This isn't my field, but I imagine that there are others on this list who
can find false assumptions on which this is based. At least that is what
can usually be done with ICR claims.

When scientists come across an anomaly, they first look for errors in the
one inconsistent case rather than in the million consistent cases.

In the event of a conflict between an interpretation of scientific
evidence and an interpretation of Scripture, we should not overlook the
possibility that we have misinterpreted the latter. I quote from the
statement of the 1982 Summit of the International Council on Biblical
Inerrancy: "We further affirm that in some cases extrabiblical data have
value for clarifying what Scripture teaches, and for prompting correction
of faulty interpretations." Isn't that what happened with the Christian
reaction to the Copernican theory?

Gordon Brown
Department of Mathematics
University of Colorado
Boulder, CO 80309-0395

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Vernon Jenkins wrote:

> A poster entitled "The Enigma of the Ubiquity of C14 in Organic Samples Older than 100 ka" may be found at http://www.icr.org/research/AGUC-14_Poster_Baumgardner.pdf.
>
> Here is the Abstract :-
>
> "Given the 5730 year C14 half-life, organic materials older than 200,000 years (35 half-lives), should contain absolutely no detectable C14. (One gram of modern carbon contains about 6 x 10^[10] C14 atoms, and 35 half-lives of decay reduces that number by a factor of 3 x 10^[-11].) An astonishing discovery made over the past 20 years is that, almost without exception, when tested by highly sensitive accelerator mass spectrometer (AMS) methods, organic samples from every portion of the Phanerozoic record display C14/C ratios far above the AMS detection threshold of 0.001% modern carbon (pmc). C14/C ratios from all but the youngest Phanerozoic samples appear to be clustered in the range 0.1 - 0.5 pmc, corresponding to C14 ages of 44,000 - 57,000 years, regardless of geological 'age'. An inference that can be drawn from these observations is that all but the very youngest Phanerozoic organic material was fossilized less than 70,000 years ago. When one accounts for the signifi!
cant amount of biomass involved, the AMS measurements are consistent with the time scale from historical accounts of a global cataclysm that destroyed most of the air-breathing life on the planet only a few millenia into the past."