Re: Mu (Was Re: CT article: Darwinists, not Christians, stonewalling the facts)

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Sun Apr 03 2005 - 17:21:42 EDT

MessageOK Glenn, you started it up again. I have NEVER said that scripture is "unreal" even in the sense in which you use the word. I have ALWAYS insisted that scripture contains historical information. In particular, it contains historical information which provide reasonable support for the claim that Jesus of Nazareth lived, was crucified and was raised from the dead.

That is the foundation of Christian faith. It does not mean that Genesis or any other part of scripture is irrelevant but the historical truth of early Genesis is not the article by which the church stands or falls. Your arguments, on the other hand, give the impression that you share with AiG the belief that Christianity is based on the historical truth of Genesis. Only the cartoons are missing. It's misleading to suggest that the basic difference between us is that you think scripture speaks of what's real and I don't. The difference is really more about what's of primary importance.

& please stop suggesting (as below) that my view of Genesis is that it's "allegory." It isn't. Rich F e.g., thinks Genesis is to be read as allegory & you can argue with him about that, but it isn't my view.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/