Re: teaching evolution & creation science in public schools...

From: Steven Carr <Steven@bowness.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat Apr 02 2005 - 03:08:12 EST

In message <006101c53756$38e3b750$b7f5cdd9@D9D1ZJ1J>, Michael Roberts
<michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk> writes
>Don't forget the mountains in Britain caused by the orogeny in the mid
>Palaeozoic 400 my ago were some 40,000ft high so there is no problem with
>the Himalaya.
>Instead of pfaffing about with little details why not face the fact that the
>earth is billions of years old and all those who say otherwise are either
>stupid or dishonest.
>It is easy to throw up a little"question" to cast doubt. But I await the day
>when any YEC argument does not depend on misrepresentation or
>misunderstanding and a naive belief that a little unanswered niggle destroys
>the whole understanding of an ancient earth.

CARR
This reminds me of what Dawkins wrote in
http://www.simonyi.ox.ac.uk/dawkins/WorldOfDawkins-archive/Dawkins/Work/
Reviews/1989-04-09review_blueprint.shtml

'We are not talking about Darwin's particular theory of natural
selection. It is still (just) possible for a biologist to doubt its
importance, and a few claim to.

 No, we are here talking about the fact of evolution itself, a fact that
is proved utterly beyond reasonable doubt. To claim equal time for
creation science in biology classes is about as sensible as to claim
equal time for the flat-earth theory in astronomy classes.

 Or, as someone has pointed out, you might as well claim equal time in
sex education classes for the stork theory. It is absolutely safe to say
that if you meet somebody who claims not to believe in evolution, that
person is ignorant, stupid or insane (or wicked, but I'd rather not
consider that).'

--
Steven Carr