Re: teaching evolution & creation science in public schools...

From: <bpayne15@juno.com>
Date: Sat Apr 02 2005 - 00:26:02 EST

Michael,

You said the uplift rate of a mm or a few could produce the Himalayas in 5 million yrs with no problem. Quoting you:

"WHAT'S THE PROBLEM? THAT IS ONLY 5000 METRES OR 10000 METRES IN 5000000 YEARS I.E ON AVERAGE A MILLIMETRE OR FEW A YEAR.AS EARTHQUAKES WILL GIVE A DISPLACEMENT OF METRES THERE IS NO PROBLEM."

Being a geologist, I would think you would consider that erosion operates in concert with uplift, and the higher the uplift the greater the rate of erosion. Mt Everest is 8848 meters above sea level. Check out the view from Everest at: http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap030831.html
Note that the mountain peaks and ridges are all sharp, indicating aggressive erosion by ice and snow.

There is a problem with your answer. Would you care to rethink this and modify your response?

Bill

-- "Michael Roberts" <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:

> Michael,
>
> What would you say is the rate of erosion in the Himalayas?
>
> Bill
 I haven't a clue. What is the relevance of that?

Now includes pop-up blocker!