Re: Naturalisim

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Fri Apr 01 2005 - 13:08:02 EST

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 05:58:09 +0100 steven@bowness.demon.co.uk writes:
> Exodus 8
> 10 So Moses and Aaron went to Pharaoh and did just as the LORD
> commanded. Aaron threw his staff down in front of Pharaoh and his
> officials, and it became a snake. 11 Pharaoh then summoned wise men
> and sorcerers, and the Egyptian magicians also did the same things
> by their secret arts: 12 Each one threw down his staff and it became
> a snake.
>
> On a naturalistic view of the Universe, is this story to be taken
> as untrue on the grounds that the Egyptian sorcerers could not work
> miracles
> and were unable to change wood into snakes?

First, you're quoting from Exodus 7. I can't document it now, but I
recall a claim that an ancient Egyptian document described how to hold a
snake near the head in such way that the critter stiffened out. It would
look like a rod. Dropped, it would move. It would have to be gripped near
the head to stiffen again. But note the directions in Exodus 4:3f. The
rod that Moses and Aaron carried was to be grabbed by the tail. The
Egyptian priests would know the difference, though Pharaoh did not.
Dave