Re: CT article: Darwinists, not Christians, stonewalling the facts

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Fri Apr 01 2005 - 07:15:49 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Glenn Morton" <glennmorton@entouch.net>
To: "'George Murphy'" <gmurphy@raex.com>; "'Randy Isaac'"
<rmisaac@bellatlantic.net>; <asa@calvin.edu>
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2005 7:35 PM
Subject: RE: CT article: Darwinists, not Christians, stonewalling the facts

> The phrase is not significant at all, George. Anyone constructing a
> theological view, or a scientific view does not have access to some
> metaphysical source of all knowledge to know how much historicity there
> is. Thus, your statement " how much historicity there
>> is in Genesis, " is irrelevant. How on earth do you PROPOSE to answer
> that question? Are you going to ask God? Are you going to decide for
> yourself? If you have no independent means of knowing how much
> historicity there is, then you, like I and like others are merely
> deciding the answer to that question based upon personal whimsy.
>
> If you have another source of divine and irrefutable knowledge to answer
> that, then please let me know so I can access it also.

OK, so can we take this as an official statement that Glenn Morton's method
of determining how much historical data there is early Genesis is "personal
whimsy"?

I sort of thought that study of the nature of the text (internal structure
&c), study of the world views held in that culture & surrounding ones, & of
course non-textual data (archaeology &c) might be able to tell us something.

Lest we get too far from the main topic: I would very much like to see
conservative Christians come to a better understanding of scripture & its
relationship with science, realize the obstacles in the way of that goal, &
take seriously the dangers of continued infatuation of those Christians with
anti-evolution stuff. But I am not prepared to accept an approach to the
problem that involves telling them things that aren't true because that's
what they want to hear.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/