Re: Eph 2

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Thu Sep 30 2004 - 17:27:23 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: <jwburgeson@juno.com>
To: <gmurphy@raex.com>
Cc: <asa@calvin.edu>
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2004 3:56 PM
Subject: Eph 2

> George asked: "& if you are participating in a Bible study & asked to
> read from Ephesians 2 do you skip over verse 3? I won't say "I suspect
> not" because I don't know."
>
> Nope. But as you and I both know, the issue is not settled by that verse.
> <G>
>
> jb
>
> NIV EPH 2:1 As for you, you were dead in your
> transgressions and sins, 2 in which you used to live when you followed
> the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the
> spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. 3 All of us also
> lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful
> nature and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by
> nature objects of wrath.

The Greek phrase in question is _tekna phusei orges_, for which the
straightforward translation is that of NRSV (& in fact the whole KJV
tradition), "by nature children of wrath." I don't know what justification
the NIV folks thought they had for rendering _tekna_ as "objects." Having
just been through a lot of nonsense on Tweb with people who appeal to the
tendentious readings of NIV to justify their harmonizing of Gen.1 & 2, I'm
beginning to have a more jaundiced view of that translation.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/