RE: The Curse - Upon All Creation or Just Mankind?

From: bivalve <bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com>
Date: Thu Sep 30 2004 - 12:04:28 EDT

> > Your comment regarding "very good, not perfect" got me to thinking. (I
> > know; scary concept!) Wouldn't God, in His perfection, have created
> > perfection originally? In other words, wouldn't the original creation have
> > been perfect until God cursed it because of man's disobedience?

The commands to work the garden, to fill the earth, and to subdue it indicate that there were opportunities for improvement, despite an absence of errors. Thus, the definition of perfect becomes critical. Cf. "perfect, yet it groweth fuller every day..." or the assertion in Hebrews that Jesus was perfected through His experiences.

Likewise, the difference between spiritual and physical death affects the interpretation of death as a curse. We were dead in our trespasses and sin; now the old self is dead; etc. do not relate to our physical state of animation.

    Dr. David Campbell
    Old Seashells
    University of Alabama
    Biodiversity & Systematics