Re: Seed death from The Curse - Upon All Creation or Just Mankind?

From: bivalve <bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com>
Date: Mon Sep 27 2004 - 18:54:24 EDT

> > An example of Paul accommodating to the science of the time?<<

That to me implies that Paul was trying to make a scientific statement. Instead, I would assert that Paul is using ordinary/layman's language. A seed looks dead and even partly rots, but new life comes from it.

I don't think Paul knew that this was technically scientifically inaccurate, but I don't think he is trying to affirm a scientific statement, either.

Likewise, the imagery of Gen. 1 and many other passages certainly suggest a flat earth and a solid sky. Both are accurate descriptions of their appearance to an ordinary observer. Labeling all creeping things as "four-legged" seems rather analagous to calling them all bugs. These seem to me to be non-scientific comments rather than scientific errors.

To a degree, citing such passages as scientific errors seems to make the same error as taking Gen. 1, etc. as a guide to science. Both assume that the author was trying to make scientific statements.

    Dr. David Campbell
    Old Seashells
    University of Alabama
    Biodiversity & Systematics